Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hot Fun in the Summertime

Summer officially started this past Monday. It is not really summer, however, until the solstice parade in Santa Barbara is complete. Then, and only then, is summer finally at our doorstep.

From the humble beginning in 1974 with a group of street artists celebrating the birthday of artist Michael Gonzales, the Summer Solstice Celebration has evolved into the largest single-day event in Santa Barbara County, drawing crowds over 100,000 strong from near and far.


This celebration has birthed the Fremont (WA) Solstice Parade, which has been held every year since 1989. Founders Barbara Luecke and Peter Toms say the Fremont Solstice Parade was inspired by the celebration originally observed in Santa Barbara. Atlantic City is having their first solstice celebration complete with parade this year, and I am sure they owe a debt to Santa Barbara.

The parade in Santa Barbara begins at noon today and will feature more than 1,000 parade participants, floats, costumes and dancing ensembles. Most people are in the parade to see and be seen. There is one group, however, that appreciates it's anonymity and strives to remain hidden from the spectators.


What do a zeppelin, a very large cube, a tent, a top hat, a pyramid and various other enclosed entries have in common? They all housed
a group of friends that know how to have a good time. They are the very special people in my life. The memories that can effortlessly make me smile, the shoulders I can cry on, the people that I know will always be there for me. It has been said that friends are God's way of apologizing for family. I wouldn't trade my family for anything, but none of them ever were in the Solstice parade with me. For that, you gotta have friends.

This year, look for a Chinese food take-out box. If you have an extra bottle of water, find the small slit in the side about eye level and press the bottle through (they'll thank you for it, trust me). Clap when they go by and tell them I love each and every one of them.


For those of you about to parade, I salute you.


1 comment: