Saturday, November 13, 2010

Try a Little Kindness

Each of us, at some point in our lives, realize kindness is not something to be overlooked. Someone or something left a bad taste in our mouths; the class bully, an offensive joke, name calling. Those memories stay with us; at that moment in our lives, the way we thought and felt about other people changed.

Kindness can bring happiness into our lives. It can change the way other people look at us, and, more importantly, the way we feel about other people. I have met many people I may not have liked, but that never caused me to be unki
nd to them. Being kind to someone I did not appreciate allowed me to learn to see them from a different perspective.

November 13 is World Kindness Day, intended to build a kinder and more compassionate world. It is not a day created by the greeting card industry, but rather, an opportunity to look beyond ourselves, beyond the boundaries of our country, beyond our culture, our race, our religion; and realize we are citizens of the world.


It is not a day celebrated or even generally recognized in the United States. That, in and of itself, is a shame.
When did it become so unusual that people have quizzical looks on their faces when the door is held open for them? I recently held the door open for my family as we left a restaurant and I kept holding it, knowing there was a woman behind me with a large take-out bag. She and a few other people in my line of sight just stared, perhaps waiting for me to hold out my hand and expect a tip.

I read about a survey which showed nearly 80 percent of Americans agree that "a lack of respect and courtesy is a serious national problem." When is the last time you heard eight out of ten Americans agree on anything?


We all have feelings, yet we don't always recognize that other people have then as well. We have trouble taking people at face value, waiting for skeletons to jump out of that person's closet. It is any wonder, what with hours of backstabbing and treachery on network television "reality" shows each and every week, that we may smile but wait for the worst to happen?


Kindness pays most when you don't do it for pay. Choose to make a difference. When a retail clerk or a restaurant server ask how you are, ask then how they are. Say "please" and "thank you" on a regular basis. Make goofy faces at babies. Do not let kindness become passe.

No comments:

Post a Comment