Saturday, June 11, 2011

When The Roses Bloom Again

The Winter that seemed to last forever and the Spring that never really was have passed. Given the extended period of cold and wet, it's not much of a surprise that our roses had held off making an appearance. As the week wore on, they started to show themselves, just a little at a time. I first noticed some white peeking through, then some pink. And as always, I breathed a sigh of relief that the pruning I had done months earlier didn't frighten the plants into never growing again.

I am a hesitant pruner
. I never liked to trim the trees that were in the way of the walk; they went to a lot of trouble to grow and who was I to cut off a branch here or there? It took years for me to understand why it is needed (control shape, encourage more growth, improve health), and that it can be good for your plants, shrubs and trees.

Not all my pruning opportunities were successes. I still remember the Philadelphus virginalis (better known as Minnesota Snowflake Mock Orange) that I, well, pruned is too kind of a word to use. Butchered may be a bit strong, but you get the general idea. I am still haunted by the memory of its malformed shape, looking more like a gangly creature than a shrub. I was lucky it was at the rear of the house so none of the neighbors could really see it.

Fortunately roses are very forgiving and they are no worse for my pruning. Soon we will be enveloped in their intoxicating aromas, a myriad of colors and exquisite forms. It is no wonder that many consider roses to be the quintessential flower, as once they start there is generally no stopping them, producing a parade of nonstop color.

"I am glad that in the springtime of life there were those who planted flowers of love in my heart." - Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment