Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dirty Laundry

Laundry is a chore that everyone does at some point. It can be a weekly time-consuming chore that ties you up for many hours. Doing laundry is one of the oldest known domestic tasks and while the process differs across cultures and time, the basic need (clean clothes) is unchanged. If you're typical, you likely dread doing laundry, a mundane part of life. If you're atypical, like me, you actually like doing laundry.

It's the obsessive part of my personality, I know. A full hamper of dirty things is bothersome, as it all could be clean and put away in its place instead of being piled in a jumble. Still, there is a certain satisfaction in gathering all of the sheets, towels and clothes and knowing they will be clean when you are done.

We moved two years ago to a new home, new neighborhood, new views...but the best part was the new front-loading washer and dryer. The smell of detergent and dryer sheets, cleaning the lint filter on the drier after every load...ah yes. Dirty clothes go in, clean, nice-smelling clothes come out.


I work during the week so I save laundry up for the weekend. Walking downstairs, opening up the washing machine and starting a load before the coffee pot is on, the hum of the washer reminding me of my accomplishment. The challenge of the stains, the crease of permanent press...bliss.

All in all, washing, drying and folding is very meditative and relaxing. A tremendous sense of satisfaction and fulfillment arrives each and every Sunday night, as I know each and every towel in the house is clean, dry and folded just right, my clothes neatly hung and/or folded, and clean sheets on the bed.

1 comment: