Saturday, December 17, 2011

He Is Sailing

Italy emerged from World War I in a poor and weakened condition, a costly conflict borne by an relatively new and underdeveloped country. Post-war inflation and large debts led to mass unemployment, food shortages, strikes, and general unrest throughout the country.

With no obvious solutions in sight, millions of Italians left their homeland, about half going to other locations in Europe, hoping for a better life; the rest headed to ports of departure throughout Europe, including Le Havre (France), Hamburg (Germany), and the Italian cities of Naples, Palermo, Venice and Genoa. Steamships picked up their human cargo and set sail to points north, south, east and west. The overwhelming majority of immigrants traveled in steerage, packed in as tightly as space would allow, and days dragged into weeks, waiting and waiting for the ship to complete its journey and arrive at the dock.

My four grandparents were among the millions of Italians who immigrated to the United States. Eighty-five years ago today, on December 17, 1926, Emilio Frederick Tabacchi stepped on board the SS Duilio. Two weeks later, the ship approached the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor, and for those on board the American Dream was finally at hand. Eventually he would pass through the huge Registry Room on Ellis Island and then travel by train to Santa Barbara, his home for the rest of his life.

Today I say thank you to those who came before me, their stories of risk, courage and determination an inspiration for me as I continue on my journey, each remembrance breathing life once more into those who paved the way for us.

"To those who came before me in seasons long ago
To those who are the loved-ones that I have yet to know
To those whose noble names I bear, whose light within me burns
To them in gratitude shall my heart be turned ." - Sally DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment