Sunday, May 6, 2012

Teacher, Teacher

There have been many teachers in my life.  Some taught school, others taught life, and a few taught both.  It was Dorothy Wagner in 8th grade who helped me understand that what sounded like a squeaky voice in my head could be a formidable force that I needed to learn to utilize.  Later, in high school, it was Shirley Alvord who convinced me I could do anything if I put my mind to it.  In college, Klaus Wills cemented my love of science and showed me being a little crazy was okay as long as you were smart about it.

There is only one teacher, however, that I wish I could better emulate.  That person is my sister, Julie Grimes.  Julie has taught hundreds of children and made a difference in every one of their lives
.  While I hope to have passed something on to future generations that may make for a better world, I already know Julie has.  She was recently honored by her school, her peers, her friends and her family.  Here is just a brief portion of that they had to say: 

"The La Cumbre Junior High School Foundation is honored to present...to Julie Grimes the La Cumbre Junior High School Teacher of the Year Award.  She has exhibited during her 11 years at La Cumbre Junior High School as a Special Education Teacher the love of her students while at the same time demonstrating a "no nonsense" attitude that students and their parents have come to both admire and respect.  La Cumbre Junior High School, acclaimed as one of the top performing schools in Santa Barbara County, has accomplished this distinction due in part to the exceptional commitment of its teachers and the leadership team established at the school.  Julie exemplifies every day this extraordinary commitment to excellence and dedication in her classroom.  Thank you Julie, for inspiring your students for not wanting to settle for less and for acknowledging the greatness that is in each of them. May your light continue to shine in the hearts and minds of your students."
To my favorite sister...stop crying already!

1 comment: