Saturday, July 17, 2010

Happy Together

When our daughter Laura was young, it was difficult for her to understand just how far away my sister Julie lived. Then, California was a long, way away. We would visit the Golden State when we could, and Julie (and later her husband Joseph) would visit us in Oregon.

It was a long trip, but length is relative. Our ancestors emigrated from Italy and saw their siblings a scant few times over the course of decades. Technology has helped to fill that gap, with cell phones and computers. Now Laura can see her Zia's pictures in almost real time as my sister uploads them to her Facebook account.

Julie and Joseph have traveled 1200 miles of highways and byways to visit us this summer. We'll share memories, poke fun at our relatives, and have a great few days recharging and reconnecting.

I know my parents wondered how both Julie and I survived each other. It wasn’t for lack
of trying; somehow we managed to co-exist throughout school without much damage and when I went away to college we actually missed one another. I think it was then that I realized she was not only my sister but one of my friends as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment