Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Hometown

Santa Barbara, California. The American Riviera.

A narrow strip of land perched along the coast with island views, backed by beautiful mountains, populated by eucalyptus and oak and flowers of virtually every form. The cream color of the Spanish-style buildings contrast with the red of their tile roofs. A jewel amongst cities, streets are windy and picturesque, neighborhoods meander into the foothills.


Old Spanish Days Fiesta, Summer Solstice Parade, County Bowl, Waterfront Arts and Crafts Show under the palms along Cabrillo Boulevard, Downtown Santa Barbara Farmers Market, the Old Mission, Museum of Natural History, the Botanic Gardens, Sambo's, State Street, Andree Clark Bird Refuge, the Child's Estate, Stearn's Wharf, Cold Spring Tavern, El Paseo, El Presidio, Hendry's Beach, East Beach, West Beach, Leadbetter Beach, Butterfly Beach, the Courthouse, the library (and the best parking garage in town, "The Flush"). Museum of Art, Arlington Theater, Moreton Bay Fig Tree, Painted Cave.

Feeling comfortable walking down the street, familiar sights and landscapes, where I grew up, where so many of my memories are from, emotions swelling; I want to take it all in slowly, never wanting to forget this place, wanting to always have it right there in my memory, not letting them fade away.
Driving through certain parts of town bring back vivid memories of when I was young. Learning to ride a bike with no training wheels, learning to drive a car, my first kiss, first love, first heartbreak. It is my own personal scrapbook; anytime I want to relive a part of my life, all I have to do is go home.

Santa Barbara, California. The American Riviera. My hometown.


No comments:

Post a Comment