Sunday, February 13, 2011

Family Tree

America is a true melting pot made up of people from all different parts of the world. We are all Americans but we identify each other by our backgrounds. Although we are proud to be Irish-American or whatever else we may be, we are most proud to be Americans first and foremost.

From 1876 to 1924, over four and a half million Italians arrived in the United States, established hundreds of mutual
aid societies and publish Italian-language newspapers that provided an news source for new immigrants who could not understand English. The Sons of Italy was founded in New York around 1905; through this and many other organizations, Italian-Americans acknowledged the cultural traditions of their homeland while celebrating their achievements in America.

All four of my grandparents immigrated from Italy to the Unites States. My blood, my heart, and my history was spawned by those who came here from faraway shores. I give thanks to America for giving me freedom and quality of life, but my foundation comes from the lands of my forefathers.

1 comment:

  1. I was searching around for a good Italian Flag desktop wall paper, and I found your post about Family Tree. I want you to know I applaud you. Not many people know that much about the history of Italian Americans. Ciao Paisan! Apresto!

    ReplyDelete