Saturday, February 5, 2011

We Are The Champions

Super Bowl Sunday: the biggest game of the year, the culmination of another great season and played this year by two of the most legendary teams in the league, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers. Parties will be held, countless people will venture out of their homes and head to their local water holes to enjoy the big game.

More than a billion people worldwide will watch the game; much of the United States wi
ll grind to a halt to witness history in the making, the bragging rights for another year.

This year, as with many past years, I will be trimming the roses.


Don't get me wrong. I like sports. The games entertain us, distract us from our day-to-day lives. Add in speed, a splash of rivalry and a dash of danger and you've got the makings of excitement. I've seen horse racing, roller derby, Formula 1 racing, ice hockey and many others up close and personal. I bleed Dodger blue. I know all the words to "Hail to the Redskins".

That last one is the reason I have not watched a Super Bowl since 1992. If the Redskins aren't playing, I'm not watching. I watched occasionally just for the commercials, but the Internet made that unnecessary.


Whenever I watch my favorite sports teams my adrenaline shoots and I am into the game. When they are not playing, I'm not interested. I have trouble moving my enthuiasm to the game as opposed to the teams involved.


Super Bowl Sunday is a great day to shop. One year we were the only people in an office supply store and had great service when we shopped for a laptop. Movie theaters tend to be sparsely populated, as does any location without a television.


Best of luck to the Steel Curtain and the Green and Gold. May your team play the game of the century. I'll be pruning the roses, wistfully thinking about next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment