Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sleep's Dark And Silent Gate

Some nights, as I wait to fall asleep, I reflect upon the day; what happened, what it meant for today, what it means for tomorrow. Other nights, I think about love, past friends and good times. This week I have been reflecting on the uncertainty of our lives, how change comes when you least expect it, how forewarned is forearmed, how crystal balls tend to be fuzzy at best, how planning is everything but how plans are nothing.

Change hurts. Change makes us insecure about our abilities, and confused as to why it happened or what will happen. Life is easier when things remain the same. But that's not how life is. Life goes on, regardless of whether or not we control which way it goes, which is precisely why planning is everything and the plan is nothing.

In a few months I will be fortunate enough to visit the areas in Italy where my grandparents came from. What will I find there, who will I meet, what will I see? I could plan my trip down to the minute or hour or even to the day, but all that means is I will likely be constantly changing my plans. What is more important is that I plan to be agile and to be ready for changes. To do that, I will pack my bags what I think I need for the journey and discard the rest. I know my destination and what I would like to see when I arrive. I will head in that direction and work with the surprises that are put in front of me, changing direction as necessary.

As many others have said, it is the journey that shapes our lives, not the destination. It is the past, whether today or many yesterdays ago, that help shape our future, as we learn to react to things based on how we acted before. Fill your bags with things that will help you, not hinder you. Keep planning but be ready to make changes. And most importantly, keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment