Sunday, July 14, 2013

From Where I Stand

The future seems far away for so long, and then it hits you like a dope slap.

My last full day with Sargento was June 10.  I made a few trips into the office during that week, including a goodbye lunch for the Plant Manager, so that stretched it until June 14. I was paid through the end of the month, so (in my mind, anyway) maybe my official last day was June 30.  In early July I still had corporate e-mail access, making it easy to continue to believe I was still tied to my friends and associates in WI and elsewhere.


It was going to happen eventually, and it came sooner than later.  Earlier this week my access was revoked and I could no longer sign on to the external portal.  I continued to deny my true separation from what, with little doubt, was the best company I have ever had the privilege to work for.

There is no denying it anymore.  The electronic thread, tenuous at best, was finally broken.

Time will fly, each week/month/year moving faster than the last. We might stay in touch, but it far is more likely we will move on, the tide of life drifting us apart both in distance and time.

A while back I wrote that an era is truly known only when it is over. This period of time, marked by its distinctive characters and events, may not make the history books, but it was significant nevertheless for those of us who lived it.

The future seems so far away for so long...

 

1 comment:

  1. History is history, significant or not. It's your history Fred, and that's what counts! What you got out of this job is what you can give back to the job that lies in your next saga. Don't be sad for the past, be excited for what's to come and how you can make your next job better because of your pleasant experience with Sargento.

    ReplyDelete