Saturday, June 22, 2013

One Summer Dream

Yesterday was Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.  In Bellingham, the sun rose at 5:07:06 am and set that evening at 9:16:53 pm, for a grand total of 16hrs 09min 47sec of full daylight. If you count civil twilight which begins at 4:24 am and ends at 9:58 pm, the daylight hours stretch out to 17 hours 34 min.

As I have said before, summer doesn't really start until the solstice parade in Santa Barbara is complete. Then, and only then, is summer finally at our doorstep.

If you are watching the parade, look for something that resembles giant colon, or perhaps a wedge of cheese or maybe a cube...only they know for sure.  If you have an extra bottle of water, find the small slit in the side about eye level and press the bottle through (they'll thank you for it, trust me). Clap when they go by and tell them I love each and every one of them.

I dream of Santa Barbara, my family and friends who are there, the times of my life spent there and the times yet to be.  Where our next stop will be is still unknown, but today, as with many days, my past meets my future, and I, much like the parade, will go with the flow. 

In the future I hope to travel further north and experience the never-ending day associated with the far north.  Until then, I relish in the extra minutes of daylight and firmly plant those memories of in my mind, waiting for a day with less light to remember them by.

No comments:

Post a Comment